Ujimahereandthere

Friday, November 24, 2006 So many pictures! I started traveling the world in 1962 when I went to the university and traveled around in Mexico for ten weeks. Being a teacher, I had breaks during spring and summer holidays. Unfortunately, so many of my pictures are still on slides or are in books and have not been scanned. So I'm going to put up some that have and some digital and other random pictures that strike my fancy.

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Mummers Parade 2007


Mummers Parade 2007, originally uploaded by ujima.

The Philadelphia Mummers Parade began in 1901. It is a uniquely
Philadelphia neighborhood thing. You can read about them @
mummers.com

When I was a kid, my parents would not take us to this parade because
the men in the comic division paraded in blackface and did offensive
skits. Blackface was not outlawed until *1964*! I used to picket against
the parade in the late 50s/early 60s because of the blackface and that
no women were allowed in the parade.

My sis is a *huge* fan of the parade, so I went with she and her friends
yesterday to experience the string bands who march after the comics
and fancy divisions had finished. To the string bands, costumes are
not as important and the emphasis is on the music.

This orange guy is one of the final fancies. He was fighting a very
difficult battle against the wind.

It was 70ยบ and sunny. We had a good spot. There were plenty of $5
t-shirts on sale. We were near Starbucks where there was not too long
a wait for the restroom. Priceless!!

2 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said...

Wow this is colourful and full of energy! What about a pic of you in your souvenir t shirt? lol.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Ujima said...

Haven't worn it yet, Lynn; but when I do, I'll get someone to take a picture. Most of us at the parade were wearing EAGLES (our footy team) gear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home